Friday, April 9, 2010

Antisocial Networking

    She’s 5’7. Brunette. Shoulder length hair. The face? Higher cheekbones and fantastic lips. Theres a touch of light eyeshadow, minimal mascara and something to accentuate her cheekbones. Its enough make-up that she stands out, but not enough so you won’t recognize her in the morning. She has a small clutch and she’s wearing a black tank top under a white denim half-jacket that serves absolutely no purpose but to make her look sexy, and its working. The jacket leaves the breast size to the imagination, but the cleavage in the tank top tells the jacket to fuck off. Trim waist, light jeans that start at a fantastic ass and go down inside her boots and fit her fucking perfectly. She glides in just past the main bar  and is yammering away on her cell phone. OMG and all that. Gets off the phone, stands there, looks around and then makes another call. “Where are you guys?” Looks up to the second level, waves and stutter-steps left before deciding that a right would make the distance between her and her party much shorter. BOO.
I see all this because when I drink at an establishment, I prefer to sit at the bar. The booze is about 4 feet from me and it makes the distance between me and my party much shorter. It also enables you to see who is walking in and give a quick size up of whether that person is a potential mate for long or short term lovin’. I may never speak to her, but knowing she’s in the room is half the battle. I have won exactly half of that battle.

    My issue is these other poor saps in here who have no idea what this doll looks like! Not because they aren’t paying any attention, but because they never had a chance. Why not? That damn cell phone. They don’t even know she’s there! They’re cuttin’ up an cracking shitty jokes and they are doing so at their peril. The cell phone has robbed them of any chance of speaking with this fine lady and also the ability to behave like gentlemen in her presence. Its efficiency is also putting a damper on that amazing entrance she could have made. But that's her thing.

    Gone are the days of walking into a joint and wandering aimlessly to find your squad, thereby familiarizing yourself with other patrons, albeit fleetingly. There is a confidence that one should have when walking into any socially awkward situation and a cell phone at your ear or fingertips isn’t helping it. I am immediately put off by the dude or chick who sits at the bar and is glued to the keyboard “socially interacting” via text with someone who isn’t there. Get real. I think its an Alexander Keith’s commercial that states something like, and I’m paraphrasing, “...and the friends that you wanna talk to are in the bar with you...” I know of a regular at a bar that I frequent who will laugh gaily at the text messages coming inward from God knows where and God knows who, yet she always walks in AND out of the bar alone (save for once, when a young suitor was making time and she behaved as though she was the belle of the ball). I get it, you’re popular, but you can’t seem to network socially with the people who are AT THE BAR RIGHT NOW! That is what a BAR IS FOR. THAT IS WHY WE GO. TO NETWORK SOCIALLY! WITH BOOZE! The only parallel to that would be Chatroulette! (I can’t pull my cock out at a bar... Or can I???)

    At the risk of sounding like a Gary (Oldman), I’ll restrain myself by saying, “...back in my day...”, but next time you roll into one of these joints and you don’t immediately see one of your gang, I dare you to holster that cell phone and browse the crowd. See what happens. Stroll in with confidence and a stride that makes people wonder what the fuck THEY are even doing there. It will work wonders for your confidence and you may run into an old friend or an new one. Look for me, I’ll be at the bar. No need for the celly, the platoon of baboons I hang out with can be heard from the front entrance...
   
     Now, what no-account social misfit’s crackberry do I have to smash into splinters to gedda drink around here?


       

7 comments:

  1. You said it all Anthony... it's like you like people watching almost as much as I do. So.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the hapless social nincompoop I've come to be (or always was, you decide), I'm a habitual text-in-bar dude. However, since you pointed this behavior out to me some time back, I've done as you suggest once or twice, and netted myself a fun little conversation or two with some cute barflies. I gotta tell you how right you are.

    There is someone even more hapless though perhaps than the IM networkers who go to the bar to chat on the interblags... and those are the folks who will go to have a beer with you - like an old friend say - and then spend the entire time on their geekpad, emailing, texting, facebooking, etc. Not only is this socially counterproductive, it's damn rude! I'd personally sit at the bar with even the most boring of my friends (I have some champs) and politely stare in silence rather than play micro video games, or talk to other distant friends. I mean, letting your old lady know where you are, or telling another buddy you're at the old watering hole, and he ought to leave his vagina at home and come out is one thing... lame text jokes with your 'other' friends is, plain insulting to your present company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only caveat is the laptop people. I've done this myself. I'm preparing invoices for clients AND drinking alcohol. That's just splitting priorities and being efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now in my day, cellies (thanks Chris) were not a problem, nor were laptops (at least the non-human kind). Conversation flowed, fights began and ended, and wives stayed home (and unaware). It was a simpler world then.....I feel sorry for the current inhabitants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to post a nice witty comment, but I have to Tweet about my LinkedIn status through my Facebook account.

    ReplyDelete